Meanderings

Stalking trout with dry flies. Floating, wading, and camping along the rivers. Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Winter trips to Mexico.



Oct 11, 2018

Oh, THAT A-Game!

I always forget just how slow you gotta move, and careful you have to be with your casts, and how many fish are going to spook anyway.  You can sure see a ton of wakes.  I had cloud cover and early afternoon showers that helped hide me, but they still knew I was there.  No wind made casting pretty easy, and I was mainly fishing bank feeders behind and between the weeds.  At least there weren't any weeds floating downstream!   Aahhh, Silver Creek!  Makes the Livingston creeks seem easy.

The Beaverhead was sort of a bust.  I cast to a couple of big ones yesterday in the horizontal snow, and hooked one of them, but it was a struggle.  Fun meter barely registering.  This morning I woke up to more falling snow.  It was time to head west to lower elevations.  It was a welcome change to floating grass mats and snow. 

The hatch was sparse to non-existent, but fish were taking every BWO dun that floated by.  And even the occasional mahogany!  They acted like they were really hungry, and some weren't too selective.  Well, at least by SC standards.  They were picky, but I got ate on a number of #20's including a LC Cripple, Harrops CDC emerging midge (that one), cdc parachute BWO's, and hangers.  Just had to get the right drift at the right time.  Carefully.  Precisely.   With numb fingers and feet.  I forgot just how damn cold this water is.
In from HQ

Right to one of my all time favorite runs

Ate the Harrop Emerging Midge

Multiple good fish working the far grass bank

They took a while, each and every one.



All chewed up Harrop Emerging Midge.

Pretty glass calm

Add caption

My favorite tree.  No fish rising under the limbs today

Beaverhead @196 full of weeds
And the snow coming down.  Water was "Beaverhead clear."

No comments:

Post a Comment